#49831, b. 1823, d. 12 November 1868
- Relationship: 1st cousin 6 times removed of My granddaughter Madison :-D
- Birth: John Coates was born in 1823 in Devon, England.1
- Marriage: He married Mary Rowe in 1849 in Swansea, Glamorganshire, Wales, when they were 21 years ~&~ 26 years old. Most likely marriage is John COATS to Mary ROE in Swansea Mar qtr 1849 26/575.1
- Death: John died on 12 November 1868 in Collingwood, Victoria, Australia, from Phthisis (TB) over 3 years (Aged 45 years, worked back from recorded birth date).2
- Burial: He was buried on 14 November 1868 in Melbourne Cemetery, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia.1
- Probate: His estate was probated in 1896. John Gardner Coates was the administrator and/or the beneficiary. The Will was not probated unril 1896, when John was 43 years old, and his parents had been dead for 28 years. I assum John and Mary had savings, shares or property in UK at the time they dies in Australia.3
- Occupation: John was an innkeeper in 1851, and a draper when he died in Australia.
- EmigratAU: He emigrated to Australia in 1853 in ship Lady Ebrington. This ship was built in Barnstaple, so was brand new for the voyage. She was small, at 427 tons. They were unassisted migrants. The Courier (Hobart), dated Saturday 29th 1853, carried the details of the voyage - Captain HARRIS, left Liverpool 10th October 1852, and arrived 19th January 1853. On board were 13 cabin passengers and 140 steerage.
- Residence: In 1868 John lived in 15 Little Oxford Street (near Peel Street), Collingwood, Victoria, Australia. Address from his funeral notice published 14th November 1868 in The Argus.3
Children of John Coates and Mary Rowe
- Various, Australian Records on Rootsweb, http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~dnp1954/…
- Various, Australian Records on Rootsweb, http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~dnp1954/…. Death certificate obviously sighter.
- Website Ancestry.com (http://www.ancestry.com) "England & Wales, National Probate Calendar (Index of Wills and Administrations), 1858-1966 about John Coats
Name: John Coats
Probate Date: 17 Jan 1896
Death Date: 12 Nov 1868
Death Place: Australia
Registry: London, England."