Richard Chugg

#13394, b. 28 May 1826, d. December 1876

Individual's Timeline

Birth1826Richard Chugg1
Christening28 May 1826Richard Chugg2
Marr RegJune 1848Richard Chugg3
Death of Father8 November 1852George Chugg4
Marriage of SonSeptember 1872George Marion Chugg5
Death RegDecember 1876Richard Chugg6

Primary events

Secondary circumstances

  • Occupation: Richard was a Culm miner (Culm is anthracite coal), a lead miner, and was once described as a shipwright.

Census details

Research Notes

  • Research note 01: There are more than one family of CHUGGs having BMD registration in the district, therefore without the parish record (which has not been transcribed) it is not possible to identify which belong to this family..
Background information - DOWN, (WEST) a pleasant village, on a bold acclivity, near a rivulet, 6 miles N.N.W. of Barnstaple, has in its parish 637 souls, and 4059 acres of land, including the small hamlets of Willincott, Dean, and Trimstone. Anthony Loveland, Esq., is lord of the manor of Bradwell; and Dr. Yeo is lord of that of Stowford, which was the seat of Bishop Stowford, who built Pilton bridge. The Langdon, Parminter, Griffiths, Coats, and other families have estates here. The Church (Holy Trinity) is an ancient fabric, and the living is a vicarage, valued in K.B. at £8. 14s. 9d., and in 1831 at £211, in the patronage of the Bishop of Exeter, and the incumbency of the Rev. H.J. Drury. . . ." [From White's Devonshire Directory (1850)]

Background information on St Mary's, Bideford, Devon, England, - "BIDEFORD (ST. MARY), a sea-port, incorporated market-town, and parish, having separate jurisdiction, and the head of a union, locally in the hundred of SHEBBEAR, Great Torrington and N. divisions of DEVON, 39 miles (N. W. by W.) from Exeter, and 201 (W. by S.) from London; containing 5211 inhabitants, of whom 4830 are in the town. This place, called also Bytheford, of which its modern appellation is a variation, derives its name from being situated near an ancient ford on the river Torridge . . . after the revocation of the edict of Nantes, in 1685, many French Protestants settled in the town, and established the manufacture of silk and cotton; a great quantity of wool was imported from Spain, and, in 1699, its trade with Newfoundland was inferior only to that of London and Exeter . . . Ship-building is extensively carried on: during the late war, several frigates were launched at this port, and there are eight or ten dockyards, in which smaller vessels are built. The principal articles of manufacture are cordage, sails, and common earthenware; there are also several tan-yards, and a small lace manufactory. . . The free grammar school, of remote foundation, was rebuilt in 1657 . . . A charity school is supported by the trustees of the Bridge Estate, and by subscription; a building has likewise been erected for a national school." [From Lewis' Topographical Dictionary of England (1844)]

IS a corporate and market town, sea-port and parish, in the hundred of Shebbear; 201 miles from London, 36 from Exeter, nine from Barnstaple, and six from Great Torrington. It is situated on the river Torridge, about two miles from Barnstaple bay. The town is divided by the river, the greater part being on the western side. The Torridge here is about 900 feet in width, over which is a handsome stone bridge of 24 arches, built about the 13th century, by subscriptions raised in Devon and Cornwall, and since supported by the proceeds of lands vested by the court of chancery in trustees. The ancient name of the place was Renton 'by the ford,' or 'Byth'ford,' probably so called from there being a 'ford' across the river (before the bridge was erected), a short distance above the town, and near to a house to this day called 'ford house.' By a charter granted it in the year 1610, the government of the town is vested in a mayor, recorder, eight aldermen, 10 capital burgesses and two serjeants at mace. The mayor, recorder and two aldermen are magistrates, and hold a court of quarter sessions, in the guildhall of the town, on the Monday previous to the county quarter sessions; and a court of record by adjournment, every three weeks, for civil actions. There is also a court leet held, once annually, by Augustus Saltren Willett, Esq. the lord of the manor.

During the earlier part of the last century, and for some time before, Bideford possessed an extensive trade to America, Newfoundland and the Mediterranean; and, although this trade and ship-building has much decreased, there are now some large establishments here, and the merchants are opulent and most respectable. Since the warehousing system has been extended to the port of Bideford, its trade has kept increasing, and consists chiefly in importing timber from North America, general goods from Ireland, and coals for the north-west of the county; exporting oak bark, iron and other goods to Ireland; earthenware, tiles, &c. to Guernsey and Jersey; linen and woollen goods, cordage, iron, provisions, naval stores, &c. &c. to the colonies in North America. The coasting-trade is in corn to, and general goods from, London and Bristol; slates, china ware, iron castings, bar iron and lime-stone from Wales. The principal manufacture of the place is a peculiar kind of earthenware, viz. ovens, salting-pans, pitchers and other coarse wares. There are in the neighbourhood some culm, and mineral black paint mines; the former are becoming very productive, having been worked but partially, until lately, for nearly two hundred years.

The church, a neat structure, contains some interesting monuments; the living is a rectory, of which Lewis William Buck, Esq. M.P. is patron, and the present rector is the Rev. William Walter. Besides the church, there are three other places of worship for dissenters. The free grammar-school here is an ancient foundation; it was rebuilt in 1657, and a new front was added by the Bideford bridge trust, in 1780; and from the same fund is paid the salary of the master. There is also a commercial school maintained by the same trust; and a national school, upon Dr. Bell's plan, opened in 1824, where are educated 200 boys and the like number of girls; this school-house was also erected out of the surplus revenue of the bridge funds. Bideford realizes considerable benefit, in its local trade, from the numerous opulent families which reside in its immediate vicinity; and there are many handsome seats, that countribute highly to ornament the country round: amongst these, it may be well to particularize 'Daddon house' the residence of L.W. Buckley, Esq. M.P; 'Hartland abbey' the seat of the widow of the late Paul Orchard, Esq; 'Clovelly court,' Sir J.H. Williams, Bart; 'Portledge house' R.P. Coffin, Esq. &c. &c. The market days are Tuesday and Saturday - the former is the principal one; the fairs, Feb. 14th, July 18th, and Nov. 13th - the one held in February is the largest. The parish of Bideford contained, by the census for 1821, 4,053 inhabitants.

Children of Richard Chugg and Agness Norman

Citations

  1. Parish register entries 1813-1837 printed index, by unknown, printout of burials supplied by DFHS - as d/of of John and Jane.
  2. Find my past web sites, online http://www.findmypast.com or http://www.findmypast.com.au, Parish Record Collection - Baptism Record
    Surname:      Chugg
    Forenames:      Richard
    Father's Forename:      George
    Mother's Forename:      Mary
    Father's Occupation:      Farmer
    Year:      1826
    Month:      May
    Day:      28
    Abode:      Dean, West Down
    Parish:      West Down
    Town Or City:      
    County:      Devon
    Record source:      Devon Baptisms - Transcripts
    Data provider:      Devon Family History Society.
  3. Free UK BDM index from 1837, online http://freebmd.rootsweb.com, vol 10 page 57.
  4. Find my past web sites, online http://www.findmypast.com or http://www.findmypast.com.au, First name(s)      George
    Last name      Chugg
    Age      67
    Birth year      1785
    Death year      1852
    Burial year      1852
    Burial date      11 Nov 1852
    Denomination      Anglican
    Burial place      West Down
    County      Devon
    Country      England
    Archive      South West Heritage Trust
    Archive reference      3255A/PR/1/9
    Record set      Devon Burials
    Category      Life Events (BDMs)
    Subcategory      Deaths & burials
    Collections from      United Kingdom.
  5. Free UK BDM index from 1837, online http://freebmd.rootsweb.com, CHUGG, George and Wickham, Harriet - Brighton 2b/365.
  6. Free UK BDM index from 1837, online http://freebmd.rootsweb.com, vol 5b page 309.
  7. Website Ancestry.com (http://www.ancestry.com) "Family DCB March 2009_2009-04-26 (Owner: D_ChalmersBrown)."
  8. Website Ancestry.com (http://www.ancestry.com) "sylpet family tree."
  9. Victorian BDM on line, online http://online.justice.vic.gov.au, death 8840.

  10. Victorian BDM on line, online http://online.justice.vic.gov.au, death 20428.
  11. Victorian BDM on line, online http://online.justice.vic.gov.au, death 16722.