#362, b. 23 July 1797, d. 3 April 1843
- Relationship: 5th great-uncle of My granddaughter Madison :-D
- Christening: William Cato was christened on 23 July 1797 in Leighton Buzzard, Bedfordshire, England.1
- Marriage: He married Elizabeth Burgess, daughter of Thomas Burgess and Elizabeth Osborn, on Thursday, 26 September 1822 in St Mary's Church, Lambeth, Greater London, England, when they were 25 years, 2 months and 3 days ~&~ 22 years and 4 days old.2
- Death of Mother: His mother Hannah Cato died on 30 November 1839 in Ampthill, Bedfordshire, England.
- Burial: William Cato was buried in April 1843 in Old Richmond Cemetery (St Luke's Anglican), Richmond, Tasmania, Australia.
- Death: William died on 3 April 1843 in New Town, Tasmania, Australia, Description: Dysentry - registered by Joseph CATO (Aged 45 years, 8 months and 11 days, worked back from recorded birth date).3
- Occupation: William was listed as a servant on his 1st son's christening record in 1823. In 1829 he was a locksmith, and in 1843 he was a Storekeeper/Market Gardener.
- Immigration: In 14 May 1830William Cato emigrated from England This family arrived 14 May 1830 WA travelling steerage with 5 children on the "Rockingham". William and his wife left Swan River 17 Jan 1831 on "Eagle", arriving Hobart on 31 Jan 1831 - number of children uncertain but probably four. William was in Hobart 3 March 1831 (letter re Overseer's position) and letter 31 March 1831 from Josiah Spode recommending William's appointment mentions "lately arrived from Swan River". The reference to “A brother and sister already in Tasmania” is to his sister Elizabeth and brother-in-law Daniel Denny. On 16 April 1831 William and Elizabeth were appointed Overseer and Sub Matron of Cascades Female Factory and on 26 May 1835 Elizabeth was appointed Midwife in Medical Dept. They held these postions until they were dismissed in March 1841 over a bribe of a chicken and finally left 13 June 1841 .They then went to live at Bridge Road Richmond in a building owned by T Burgess ? Elizabeth's father. Ad in Hobart "Town Courier" 11 Nov 1842 says William was a carrier.
Children of William Cato and Elizabeth Burgess
- International Genealogical Index (IGI), P003601 1562-1812 0845460 Film 6905873 Film.
- Website Ancestry.com (http://www.ancestry.com) "Original Doc accessed."
- Digger - Tas BMD Digger databases on CD, Surname: CATO
Given Names: WILLIAM
Mother/Spouse Given Names:
Registration Place: HOBART
Registration Number: 1507/1843
Reference: RGD 35.
- Conclusion of, Tasmanian Field Trip, April 2000.
- International Genealogical Index (IGI), c025782.