Richard Boyce

#13993, b. 5 June 1814, d. 30 May 1876

The font which saw the christening of many of the family. Photo obtained from http://www.britainexpress.com/attractions.htm?attraction=4927#tabs-3

Individual's Timeline

Birth1813Richard Boyce
Christening5 June 1814Richard Boyce1
Marriage14 October 1835Richard Boyce2
Death of Father19 April 1845Peter Boyce3
Marriage of Daughter1857Mary Ann Boyce4
Marriage of DaughterDecember 1863Louisa Boyce5
Marriage of Son1 May 1870William Boyce6,7
Death30 May 1876Richard Boyce8,9

Primary events

Secondary circumstances

  • Occupation: Richard was agricultural labourer.

Census details

Research Notes

  • Research note 01: May have had a son who was born c 1836 and who died at the age of 9 in Hoxne. He was buried 19th Feb 1845.
Background information - HOXNE, SUFFOLK
From Kelly's Directory 1929

HOXNE is a large village and parish, situated on the south bank of the Waveney and on the borders of Norfolk, 5 miles south-east from Diss station on the Ipswich and Norwich section and 3 1/2 north-east from Eye terminal station on a branch of the London and North Eastern railway, in the Eye division of the county, hundred and petty sessional district of Hoxne, union of Hartismere, Eye county court district, rural deanery of Hoxne, archdeaconry of Suffolk and diocese of St. Edmundsbury and Ipswich. The church of SS. Peter and Paul is a handsome building of flint with stone dressings, in the Perpendicular style, consisting of chancel, nave, north aisle, south porch and a lofty embattled western tower, with crocketed pinnacles, containing a clock, erected in 1887, and 5 bells: on the north wall of the nave over the arcade are wall paintings of the second half of the 14th century; these fall into four groups of subjects, viz., St. Christopher carrying the Divine Child on his shoulder; the Seven Deadly Sins; The Seven Corporal Acts of Mercy; the Last Judgement: at the east end of the aisle is a marble monument with life-size figure to Thomas Maynard esq. d. 1742: on the south wall is a memorial of Caen stone to Gen. Sir Edward Kerrison bart. K.C.B., G.C.H. died 9 March, 1853; also to Sir Edward C. Kerrison bart. deceased 1886, and a marble tablet to Agnes Burrell, youngest daughter and co-heir to Gen. Sir Frederick Kerrison bart. G.C.H., K.C.B., who died 13th March, 1918: there is also a memorial to the men who fell in the Great War, 1914-18: a stained window has been erected to the memory of the former vicar, the Rev. J. H. Hodgson M.A. who died 1868: the east window and several others are filled with stained glass: a carved oak screen was erected across the tower arch in 1878: on the floor near the chancel are three brasses to members of the Thruston family, dated respectively, 1606, 1613 and 1640: in Sept. 1870, two flags which belonged to H.M.S. "Captain" lost in a heavy squall off Cape Finisterre on Sept. 7th, were picked up at sea near Finisterre by H.M.S. "Agincourt", and presented to Hoxne church by Evelyn Burgoyne: the chancel was extensively repaired in 1879, and altered and improved in 1906 by the Ecclesiastical Commissioners: in 1906 a new altar table was given by S. Hall Wood esq. and the old altar slab refixed, and in 1908 a new reredos, constructed in part of the remains of the old screen, was given by F.W. French esq.: there are 400 sittings.

The registers date from the year 1581. The living is a vicarage, net yearly value £400, with 18 acres of glebe and residence, in the gift of the Rev. W.F. Buttle A.K.C., M.A. and held since 1928 by the Rev. Claude de la Bere B.A. of University College, Durham who is also vicar of Denham. The Baptist chapel, erected in 1843, has been enlarged, and will seat 500. Adjoining the churchyard on the south-east are five almshouses, erected in 1844 by Gen. Sir Edward Kerrison bart. Here was anciently a Benedictine priory, founded by Herbert Losinga, Bishop of Norwich, in 1101, as a cell to Norwich, and dedicated to St. Edmund; at the Dissolution the revenues were valued at £18.

In the centre of a field near Abbey Farm is a stone cross, erected in 1879 to mark the spot where, according to tradition, stood the tree against which King Edmund was shot, Nov 20th, A.D. 870; the tree fell August, 1848, by its own weight. St. Edmund's Hall, a building of flint stone and red brick, was erected in 1879 by Sir E.C. Kerrison bart. as a reading room, and presented under trust for the parishioners in 1924 by Mr. and Mrs. Norton B. Garrard; the library consists of about 400 volumes; there is also a small collection of ancient implements of war &c. discovered in the parish. Many traces of palaeolithic times have been found here, including flint implements of remarkable quality and fossil bones of elephant, horse, deer and ox.

A bridge built by the late Sir E.C. Kerrison bart. crosses the Gold brook. Depperhaugh is a fine mansion commanding a beautiful view of the surrounding country; it is now the property and seat of major Harry Palgrave Raven M.A., J.P. Thorpe Hall, an old moated farmhouse, about 3 miles south-east from the church, is a fine specimen of red brick work and has excellent chimneys, and is owned and occupied by Caleb Last esq. Oak Lawn, half a mile distant, standing in its own grounds of about 8 acres, is the property of Mrs. Douglas Hamilton and residence of Sir Ernest Fletcher. Adolphus G. Maskell esq. is lord of the manor and Messrs, Philip Last, Edward John Saunders, James Henry Newton and James Lang are the principal landowners. The land is pf a mixed soil; subsoil, gravel and clay. The chief crops are wheat, barley, beans and peas. The area is 4,031 acres of land and 25 of water; the population in 1921 was 769.

CROSS STREET is a populous part of the parish, about 1 mile south from the church; other portions of the parish extend in a south- easterly direction for nearly 5 miles and run between Denham and Stradbroke. Hilton, under the "Divided Parishes Act", now forms part of Wilby. Heckfield Green is 1 mile south-east.


Background information - SYLEHAM, a parish in the hundred of Hoxne, county Suffolk, 6 miles N.E. of Eye, and 3½ S.W. of Harleston. Scole is its post town. The village is situated on the river Waveney, which separates it from the county of Norfolk. A large portion of the soil is marshy. The parish includes the hamlet of Esham, whore was formerly a chapel-of-ease. The living is a perpetual curacy* in the diocese of Norwich, value £88. The church, dedicated to St. Mary, has monuments to Mrs. Bridget and Anne Lamb. The register dates from 1538. Syleham Hall is the principal residence. Miss Taylor is lady of the manor."

From The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003.

Children of Richard Boyce and Frances Baxter

Citations

  1. International Genealogical Index (IGI), Richard BOYCE
    Christening: 5 Jun 1814. Hoxne, Suffolk, England
    Parents: Father: Peter BOYCE Mother: Ann.

  2. International Genealogical Index (IGI), Richard BOYCE
    Marriage(s):
    Spouse: Frances BAXTER
    Marriage: 14 Oct 1835
    Hoxne, Suffolk, England
    M131801 1834-1835 0918534.
  3. Certificate or Original Parish Reg Entry, Extract from original records, Copy received from Jean Eastoe.
  4. Free UK BDM index from 1837, online http://freebmd.rootsweb.com, Mary Ann Boyce and Walter Huggins in Hoxne Volume:4a Page:796.
  5. Free UK BDM index from 1837, online http://freebmd.rootsweb.com, Louisa Boyce
    Year of Registration:      1863
    Quarter of Registration:      Oct-Nov-Dec
    District:      Hoxne
    County:      Norfolk, Suffolk
    Volume:      4a
    Page:      1127.
  6. Free UK BDM index from 1837, online http://freebmd.rootsweb.com, Airey, Susan and Boyce, William in Lambeth 1d/482.
  7. Certificate or Original Parish Reg Entry, Extract from original records, saved as boyce airey marriage 1870.
  8. Copies of original certificates and docs.
  9. Free UK BDM index from 1837, online http://freebmd.rootsweb.com
  10. Burials in Britain, DB - National Burial Index (Britain), Richard BOYCE Date 3 Jun 1876 Aged 62 Place Hoxne Description St Peter & St Paul Denomination Anglican County code SFK.