#18298, b. 1767, d. 26 April 1844
- Relationships: 4th great-grandfather of Sister Susan :-), 6th great-grandfather of My granddaughter Madison :-D, 5th great-grandfather of Cousin Sarah Louise :-)
- Charts: Pedigree (compressed), Pedigree (paged), Pedigree (wide), Pedigree (indented), Pedigree (compressed), Pedigree (paged), Pedigree (wide), Pedigree (indented), Pedigree Chart Shirley (Blake)
- Birth: Charles Bell was born in 1767 in England Thought by an LDS member to be All Saints Norwich, but no sign of it in the original registers, and it does not appear in Free Reg in Norfolk as at Aug 2011.1
- Marriage: He married Lydia Murrell on Friday, 23 September 1791 in St Stephen's, Norwich, Norfolk, England, when they were 24 years ~&~ 22 years old. A first marriage for both and the Witnesses were William LEECH and John COBB (Church officials). Lydia was illiterate.2
- (Widow) Death: In 1818, at the age of 51 years, Charles was left a widower by the death of Lydia Bell; Aged 49.3
- Marriage of Son: His child Michael Bell was married on 25 February 1827 in St Saviour's Church, Magdalen Street, Norwich, Norfolk, England.4
- Marriage of Daughter: His child Lydia Bell was married on 1 January 1837 in St Saviour Church, Magdalen Street, Norwich, Norfolk, England.5
- Death: Charles died on 26 April 1844 in Eynesford Workhouse, England, aged 77. (Aged 77 years, worked back from recorded birth date).6
- Burial: He was buried on 30 April 1844 in St Julian's, Norwich, Norfolk, England, From the Eynsford Union House, near Reepham. He is not found in 1841 census, but if he was already in the Workhouse he may not have been listed in his full name
I believe this is our Charles as his wife was already buried there in 1818. Neither was living in St Julian when they died so I am expecting that they were buried with other members of the family.6
- Occupation: Charles was a cordwainer. This has not been confirmed, but is based on a number of 'facts'. All the male children I have found records for are cordwainers, and there is a Charles BELL, cordwainer, listed in St Michael Coslany in the 1830 voting register, and a bootmaker with this name in St Miles' Church Alley in White's Norfolk 1836. His daughter Lydia was living there in later census.
Children of Charles Bell and Lydia Murrell
- Charles Bell+1 b. 25 Mar 1792, d. Dec 1873
- John Bell7 b. 9 Mar 1794, d. Mar 1873
- Thomas Bell8 b. 31 Aug 1800, d. 3 Sep 1800
- Michael Bell+9 b. 25 Apr 1802, d. Sep 1878
- Lydia Bell+10 b. 6 Mar 1806, d. Mar 1886
- David Thomas Bell9 b. 11 Mar 1810, d. Jun 1890
- Robert Bell9 b. 15 Apr 1810, d. 15 Apr 1810
- Maria Bell11 b. 21 Jul 1816, d. Jun 1877
- Conclusion of, Shirley.
- Free parish registers, online http://www.freereg.org.uk, County Norfolk
Church St. Stephens
MarriageDate 23 Sep 1791
GroomParish St Stephen
BrideParish St Stephen
- Free parish registers, online http://www.freereg.org.uk, Norfolk
Church St Julian
BurialDate 14 Jul 1818
Abode St Michael-at-Coslany
- BDM, Norfolk Marriages 1801-1837, BELL Michael 25 2 27 WHITEHOUSE Lucy Norwich St Saviour's Sav.
- Find my past web sites, online http://www.findmypast.com or http://www.findmypast.com.au,
First name(s) Lydia
Last name Bell
Birth year -
Residence St Saviour, City of Norwich
Marriage year 1837
Marriage date 01 Jan 1837
Parish Norwich, St Saviour
Spouse's first name(s) John
Spouse's last name Chapman
Spouse's parish St Saviour, City of Norwich
Archive Norfolk Record Office
Archive reference PD 33/15
Record set Norfolk marriages
Category Life Events (BDMs)
Subcategory Marriages & divorces
Collections from United Kingdom.
- Free parish registers, online http://www.freereg.org.uk, possibly - 30/4/1844
Church St Julian
BurialDate 30 Apr 1844
Abode Eynsford Union House.
- International Genealogical Index (IGI), C045541 1558-1875 0993658 Film 6907062 Film.
- International Genealogical Index (IGI), Thomas BELL
All Saints Norwich, Norfolk, England
Father: Charles BELL
Mother: Lydia MURRELL
Film Number: 456305.
- International Genealogical Index (IGI), 7201814 - 0820085 Film NONE.
- International Genealogical Index (IGI), 7919434 - 1260564 Film.
- International Genealogical Index (IGI), Maria BELL
Christening: 21 Jul 1816
St Michael Coslaney, Norwich, Norfolk, England
Father: Charles BELL
Batch number: Dates Source Call No. Type Printout Call No. Type
7323308 - 0822864 Film NONE.