#22140, b. 1814, d. June 1880
- Relationship: 5th great-grandfather of My granddaughter Madison :-D
- Charts: Pedigree (compressed), Pedigree (paged), Pedigree (wide), Pedigree (indented), Pedigree (compressed), Pedigree (paged), Pedigree (wide), Pedigree (indented), Pedigree Chart Madison (Jackson)
- Birth: James Brown was born in 1814 in Hitchin, Hertfordshire, England.
- Marriage: He married Mary Britten, daughter of James Britten and Elizabeth Parkins, on Monday, 15 May 1837 in St Mary's Church, Redbourn, Hertfordshire, England, when they were 23 years ~&~ 18 years, 9 months and 2 days old. Witnessed by James and Susan SLAY (I think this is her eldest sister and her husband SLADE), and Moses MOODY.1,2
- Marriage of Daughter: His child Kesia Brown was married on 12 October 1873 in Christ Church, Marylebone, Greater London, England.3
- Death Reg: James's death was registered in the quarter ended in June 1880 in the Hemel Hempstead, Kings Langley registration district, as Mary was a widow in 1881. Only James Brown death in HH for the 10 year period and the age married up exactly.. (His age calculates to 66 years).4
- Occupation: James was in 1841 an agricultural labourer and in 1861 a paper makers labourer.
- Note - illiterate: 1837 James was illiterate.
Children of James Brown and Mary Britten
- International Genealogical Index (IGI), M072771 1813 - 1837.
- Free UK BDM index from 1837, online http://freebmd.rootsweb.com, County Hertfordshire
Place (link for place information) Redbourn
Church name St Mary
Register type Unspecified
Register entry number 305
Marriage date 15 May 1837
Groom forename James
Groom surname BROWN
Groom parish Redbourn
Bride forename Mary
Bride surname BRITTAIN
Bride parish Redbourn
Witness James SLAY
Witness Susan SLAY
Register note By banns, all made their marks. Third witness Moses Moody who signed.
- Certificate or Original Parish Reg Entry, Extract from original records.
- Free UK BDM index from 1837, online http://freebmd.rootsweb.com, Brown, James aged 66 - H. Hempstead 3a/263.
- Census data as per CD, nearest I can find - Westwick Row, St Michael, Leverstock Green, Hertfordshire.
Charlotte Brown 16 daughter
Eliza Brown 12 daughter
Emma Brown 14 daughter
James Brown 47 head
Kezia Brown 10 daughter
Margarett Brown 18 daughter
Mary Brown 42 wife
Susan Brown 1 daughter.
- International Genealogical Index (IGI).