#22815, b. 9 November 1649, d. 21 February 1733
- Relationship: 10th great-grandfather of My granddaughter Madison :-D
- Charts: Pedigree (compressed), Pedigree (paged), Pedigree (wide), Pedigree (compressed), Pedigree (paged), Pedigree (wide), Pedigree Chart Madison (Jackson)
- Christening: James Penman was christened on 9 November 1649 in Edinburgh Parish, Edinburgh, Midlothian, Scotland.1,2
- Marriage: He married Margaret Cleghorn, daughter of Edward Cleghorn and Marion Mitchell, on Monday, 20 April 1676 in Torryburn, Fife, Scotland, when they were 26 years, 5 months and 11 days ~&~ 17 years, 8 months and 8 days old. Possibly 2nd April.3
- Marriage of Son: His child Edward Penman was married on 31 May 1702 in Edinburgh City Parish, Midlothian, Scotland.4
- Marriage of Son: His child George Penman was married on 7 August 1713 in Torryburn, Scotland.5
- (Widow) Death: In 1719, at the age of 69 years, 3 months and 25 days, James was left a widower by the death of Margaret Cleghorn.6
- Marriage of Son: His child Thomas Penman was married in 1722 in Newbattle, Midlothian, Scotland.7
- Marriage of Daughter: His child Kathrine Penman was married on 18 June 1722 in Edinburgh, Midlothian, Scotland.
- Death: James died on 21 February 1733 in Edinburgh, Scotland, (Aged 83 years, 3 months and 12 days, worked back from recorded birth date).8
- Occupation: James was a goldsmith, a protege of Edward CLEGHORNE. He married Edward's daughter and he was the master to Edward CLEGHORN her brother. He was the Assayer at the Royal (Scottish) Mint.9
- tax: He was included in taxation records in Edinburgh, Midlothian, Scotland, in 1694. Poll Tax Returns - Penman, James, goldsmith, worth 10,000 merks; wife, Margaret Cleghorn; seven children, of whom one at nurse in the country; apprentices, Charles, son to William Duncan in Duddingston, Henry, son to Bethune; journeymen, Peter Dertigues at £6 a week, and John Contenot at £4 a week; servants, Jean Wilson and Elspeth Duncan, each at £12 a year. Fourteen hearths.10
Children of James Penman and Margaret Cleghorn
- John Penman12 b. 11 Feb 1677
- Marion Penman5 b. 7 Jul 1678
- Edward Penman5 b. 6 May 1679
- Margaret Penman5 b. 2 Apr 1680
- James Penman13 b. 12 Mar 1681, d. 3 Mar 1745
- Janet (Jonnet) Penman5 b. 15 May 1683
- Rebecca Penman5 b. 27 Dec 1685
- Marion Penman5 b. 28 Nov 1686
- George Penman+ b. 17 Jan 1688
- Agnes Penman+5 b. 12 Feb 1690
- Helen Penman5 b. 2 Dec 1692
- Elspet Penman5 b. 2 Dec 1693
- Kathrine Penman5 b. 31 Oct 1694
- Jannet Penman5 b. 31 Mar 1696
- Thomas Penman+5 b. 29 Jun 1699
- International Genealogical Index (IGI), C116859 1642 - 1654.
- R and Dietert J Dietert, The Edinburgh Goldsmiths II, Digital Edition (Cornell Universtiy: 2011), ; digital images, < i>Cornell University ECommons (http://hdl.handle.net/1813/19637 : accessed 8 October 2011;.
- Website rootsweb (http://rootsweb.com) "Penman one name study - Edinburgh Marriage Register 1595 - 1700
Page: 542 - Penman James, goldsmith; Margaret Cleghorne, married by Mr. William Ann and, Dean 20 Apr 1676
GRO: 685/01 0090 0018
02 Apr 1680 Edinburgh
James Penman, Goldsmith, Margaret Cleghorn a D: N Margaret.
Witness Thomas Fairholm, ?? (sorry, can't get that word) Baillie, Edwar d Cleghorne, Goldsmith, John Penman, Merchant, George Mitchell, Merchan tPage: Page: 85
Text: Chart of the Cleghorne-Penman Families on Page 85Page: Page: 542; James Penman and Margaret Cleghorne marriage 1676
Text: Edinburgh Marriage Register 1595 - 1700
Penman James, goldsmith; Margaret Cleghorne, married by Mr. William Ann and, Dean 20 Apr 1676 ****."
- Henry Paton M.A., Marriages Edinburgh to 1900 vol 16.
- International Genealogical Index (IGI), LDS member submission.
- Find a Grave, online http://www.findagrave.com
- Unknown author, Rootsweb various databases, Penman One Name Study -.
- Find a Grave, online http://www.findagrave.com, Name: Hannah Base
Birth Year: abt 1796
Burial Date: 24 Sep 1840
Burial Place: Norwich, St Lawrence, Norfolk, England
Parish as it Appears: St Lawrence.
- R and Dietert J Dietert, The Edinburgh Goldsmiths II.
- Website Ancestry.com (http://www.ancestry.com) "Midlothian (Edinburgh), Scotland, Extracted Parish Records [database on-line]. Provo, UT, USA: Ancestry.com Operations Inc, 2001. Original data: Electronic databases created from various publications of parish and probate records."
- Website rootsweb (http://rootsweb.com) "Penman one name study."
- International Genealogical Index (IGI), C119786 1688 - 1692.
- International Genealogical Index (IGI), C119784 1680 - 1684.