Ralph Gordon Russell Jackson

#1135, b. 17 June 1917, d. 17 December 1975


Individual's Timeline

Birth17 June 1917Ralph Gordon Russell Jackson
Marriage1946Ralph Gordon Russell Jackson
Death of Mother20 October 1959Helen Jackson1,2
Death of Father12 October 1961Geoffrey Earle Jackson
Marriage of Daughter8 June 1968Shirley Helen Ada Jackson
Death Reg1975Ralph Gordon Russell Jackson3
Death17 December 1975Ralph Gordon Russell Jackson

Primary events

Secondary circumstances

  • Occupation: Ralph was in the navy from a very young age. He served the whole War in the Royal Navy, and he joined Trinity House in 1955 and worked for them until he retired. When I knew him he was a lightship keeper, on lighthouses off the Norfolk coast.
  • Residence: In between 1950 and 12 October 1961 Ralph Gordon Russell and Geoffrey lived in 57 Harboard Crescent, Great Yarmouth, Norfolk, England.
Background information on The Star Hotel, on the Quay, Great Yarmouth, Norfolk, England, - Ralph's local pub...

The history of the Star Hotel involves the story of two adjacent houses, both flint faced, and originally built in the early 17th Century by rich merchants.

Great Yarmouth was a prosperous town at this time, and merchants dealing in fish, grains, and wool built many fine houses along the wharves, and quay’s. Few of these houses survive today but the Star Hotel is one of them.

However there was a house adjacent to the now Star Hotel built in the 16th century by William Crowe facing the river on a land known as the fore land now called Hall Quay. This was a prime position in the town, near the bridge one of great Yarmouth’s main entrances and in the centre of the north and south Quay’s. The main trading area.

By the 18th century, this house became a property of Thomas Dawson merchantman and maltster then Robert Wilson a corn merchant then on his death to the Bradshaw family. An earlier member of this noble family had been president of the High court of Justice, which sent Charles the first to the scaffold in 1649. It was while in the ownership of the Bradshaw family that the house was first turned into an Inn, the Star Tavern.

Norfolk’s Great sailor Nelson visited the town in 1800 after the battle of the Nile and received the Freedom of the town at the Wrestlers Inn on Church plain. While there, a local artist by the name of Keymer painted his portrait and subsequently presented it to the Friendly Society who regularly met at the Star. The portrait was placed in a position of honour over the fireplace in the main room which became known as the Nelson Room, in 1830 Pigot’s Norfolk Directory described the Nelson room as “beautifully carved in wainscot, now sabled by time but in excellent preservation. There is also some rare curious tapestry in a sleeping-room, exquisitely wrought in sylvan and forest scenes with birds and animals, coeval with the carving of the other apartment.”

There were several owners of the Star Tavern over the following hundred years, in 1822 the landlord was William Woolverton. Although the building was altered, a billiard room, and dining room replacing the stables, the Nelson Room remained virtually intact, attracting visitors from far and wide.

Charles Dickens stayed in Yarmouth in 1848 while gathering material for his book David Copperfield and many other towns buildings have their place in the book including the Star, which becomes the Inn where David and Steerfoorth stayed.

In 1819, the Telegraph coach and the New Royal Mail coach left Yarmouth for London via Lowestoft every day at 2pm, the Yarmouth terminus being the Star Tavern. By 1845, the Birmingham mail was leaving the Star at 4.40pm to travel to Leicester.

Nineteenth century Parliamentary elections revolved around the Inns and Taverns of the time and the Star was always the local headquarters of the Tory party, their opponents the Wiggs being based at another inn nearby, The balcony was used on many occasions to address the crowds on the Quay.

In October 1930 the Star Hotel, owned by the Bayfield family and run as the Star hotel Gt. Yarmouth Ltd was sold for £18,500 to the postmaster general, to be demolished to make way for an extension to the telephone exchange.

The panelling and the ceiling of the Nelson room were removed and sold by auction bought by the Metropolitan Museum of Art in New York, where they may be seen to this day. The final drink had been served on Sunday night, 21st September 1930, just before 10om. This may have been the end of the building, but it was not the end of the Star, for the license was transferred to the Adjoining property. The Name and the story therefore continue.

This adjoining property known as the Stone House and was another merchant house described at auction as “...most pleasantly situated and conveniently planned with no end of accommodation; and is thoroughly antique, the walls of most rooms being panelled, some in dark oak and with antique carved mantel-pieces, and is faced with cut flint stones, there were nine bedrooms, and a bathroom fitted with excellent bath in centre of same”.

On July 1890, the stone house was bought by Thomas Goate a prominent member of a Temperance movement with the intention of turning it into a hotel. Thomas Goate engaged a local architect Arthur Hewitt to draw up the plans for the alterations of the house, and conversion into a hotel. A top floor was added giving a further 25 bedrooms.

In 1891, it opened as the Cromwell Temperance Hotel, though a popular idea in some parts of the country the idea of temperance did not seem compatible with a seaport town.

In December 1930, the Star Hotel Great Yarmouth Ltd acquired the Cromwell Hotel from the then owner Frank Woolsey, renamed it the Star Hotel, and carried on their Business.

In 1949, the hotel now extended and improved after the war, was sold for £35,250 to Messers Truman Hanbury Buxton Co Ltd.

The Star was now described as “...the best known licensed house in Great Yarmouth associated with much of the public life of the town, owing to its pleasant and social position.”

The Hotel has continued to expand to meet demands on its service, and is at present owned by Scotts Inns Ltd, a local family run business

It is interesting to note that the sign of the Star is one of the oldest inn signs in the country and like many other inn signs has a religious origin.

http://www.ccpl.org/ccl/cravenlord.html.

Child of Ralph Gordon Russell Jackson and Gladys Muriel 'Dinah' Blake

Citations

  1. Find my past web sites, online http://www.findmypast.com or http://www.findmypast.com.au, Civil Registration event: Death
    Name:      JACKSON, Helen
    Registration district:      Yarmouth
    County:      Norfolk
    Year of registration:      1959
    Quarter of registration:      Oct-Nov-Dec
    Age at death:      62
    Volume no:      4B
    Page no:      439.
  2. Website Ancestry.com (http://www.ancestry.com) "Name:     Helen Jackson
    Death Age:     62
    Birth Date:     abt 1897
    Death Date:     abt 1959
    Death Place:     Gorleston Hospital
    Burial Date:     27 Oct 1959
    Burial Place:     Great Yarmouth, Norfolk, England
    Cemetery Section:     G. -
    Grave Number:     151
    Interment Number:     12045
    Cemetery Notes:     Consecrated."
  3. Burials in Britain, DB - National Burial Index (Britain), Ralph Gordon R Jackson
    Birth Date:      17 Jun 1917
    Death Registration Month/Year:      1975
    Registration district:      Great Yarmouth
    Inferred County:      Norfolk
    Volume:      10
    Page:      1293.
  4. Website Ancestry.com (http://www.ancestry.com) "Name:     Ralph Gordon Runell Jackson
    Death Age:     58
    Birth Date:     abt 1917
    Death Date:     abt 1975
    Death Place:     2 Cerdic Close Gt Yarmouth
    Burial Date:     10 Dec 1975
    Burial Place:     Great Yarmouth, Norfolk, England
    Cemetery:     Gorleston Old Cemetery
    Cemetery Section:     T
    Grave Number:     405
    Interment Number:     20622."