Frederick George William 'Porky' Blake
#1138, b. 16 February 1897, d. 27 December 1971
Fred outside his butcher's shop in King Street, Great Yarmouth. Even though the business was named H Blake & Sons, we don't think Herbert ever had anything to do with the business. The 2 owners (Fred and Regie) named it this way to get over whose name would be 'first'.
- Father: Herbert George Blake b. 17 Sep 1867, d. 25 Feb 1937
- Mother: Maria "Polly" Base b. 5 Mar 1865, d. 16 Feb 1955
- Relationships: Grandfather of Sister Susan :-), 2nd great-grandfather of My granddaughter Madison :-D, Great-grandfather of Cousin Sarah Louise :-)
- Charts: Pedigree (compressed), Pedigree (paged), Pedigree (wide), Pedigree (indented), Pedigree (compressed), Pedigree (paged), Pedigree (wide), Pedigree (indented), Blake (Sibton) descendant chart, Culling descendant chart, Culling descendent chart (new style), Samuel Larn Descendent Chart (new style) (#1), Samuel Larn Descendent Chart (new style) (#2), Pedigree Chart Shirley (Blake), Sister Susan and Cousin Shirley, Samuel LARN descendant chart
- Birth: Frederick George William 'Porky' Blake was born on 16 February 1897 in 61 St Georges Road, Great Yarmouth, Norfolk, England, hard to believe but Ralph Johnson's birth record is on the same page (4b page 12 - March qtr).1,2
- Christening: He was christened on 30 May 1897 in St Nicholas' Church, Great Yarmouth, Norfolk, England.3
- Marriage: He married Ada Violet King, daughter of William George King and Ada Louise Boyce, on Wednesday, 26 December 1923 in Great Yarmouth, England, when they were 26 years, 10 months and 10 days ~&~ 19 years, 9 months and 18 days old. The ceremony was witnessed by William George King and May Grace Gertrude Laura Blake.2,4
- Death of Father: His father Herbert George Blake died on 25 February 1937 in 70 Middle Market Road, Great Yarmouth, Norfolk, England.5
- Marriage of Daughter: His child Gladys Muriel 'Dinah' Blake was married in 1946 in Acle, Norfolk, England.
- Marriage of Daughter: His child Gladys Muriel 'Dinah' Blake was married on 17 May 1952 in Registry Office, Great Yarmouth, Norfolk, England.
- Death of Mother: His mother Maria Blake died on 16 February 1955 in 34 North Market Road, Great Yarmouth, Norfolk, England.6
- Marriage of Daughter: His child Jean Margaret Blake was married circa 1956 in Great Yarmouth, Norfolk, England.
- (Widow) Death: In 1963, at the age of 66 years, 4 months and 20 days, Frederick was left a widower by the death of Ada Violet Blake; At Northgate Hospital. Cause was a Cerebro Vascular accident, certified. She was 59.2
- Death: Frederick died on 27 December 1971 in 20 Audley Street, Great Yarmouth, Norfolk, England, (Aged 74 years, 10 months and 11 days, worked back from recorded birth date).2,4
- Death cause: Death was caused by coronary thrombosis.
- Occupation: Frederick was in the army in 1915, in 1918 he was a Dental Mechanic in London, in 1920 he was in the Territorial Forces, in 1922 he was a sheet metal worker and by 1924 he had a butcher's stall in the Market. By 1926 he was in the butcher's shop in Nelson Road.
- Anecdote: A letter sent to me by Fred's youngest daughter Jean's reads: "I have an old Priory school book printed in 1915 with Dad's name in it. It shows he served in WW1 in the 5th Norfolk's. There is also another BLAKE, this one William L, in the book as having served in the 6th Norfolks. I doubt he was accepted as a dental mechanic, I believe he played the flutes instead."2
- Description: At the age of 23 years Frederick George William 'Porky' Blake was described as 5 foot 7 inches tall, weighed 154 pounds, had a chest measurement of 35 and a half inches, with an expansion range of 2 and half inches. He had a fresh complexion, with brown hair and eyes.7
- Anecdote: Regie and Fred had a stall in the market from 1924 selling rabbits. They caught, killed and prepared them for sale.
- Residence: In between 1947 and 1952 Frederick George William and Ada lived in 37 St Julian Road, Caister-on-sea, Norfolk, England.
Children of Frederick George William 'Porky' Blake and Ada Violet King
- BDM, British Isles Vital Record CD, BLAKE, Frederick George William - Birth Date: 16 Feb 1897. Christening Date: 30 May 1897
Recorded in: Yarmouth, Norfolk, England. Collection: St Nicholas
Father: Herbert George BLAKE
Source: FHL Film 1526329 Dates: 1890 - 1901.
- Letter, Jean Eastoe to Shirley Elrick, 11/4/1999.
- Valerie Grey-Wilson, Base.
- Copies of original certificates and docs.
- Letter, Jean Eastoe to Shirley Elrick, 11/4/1999, vol 13 page 254.
- Letter, Jean Eastoe to Shirley Elrick, 11/4/1999, I assume this came from a tombstone in Gt Yarmouth Churchyard.
- British Army WWI Pension Records 1914-1920, online http://content.ancestry.co.uk then search military records.