John Alexander Elrick
#1182, b. 22 February 1867, d. 10 April 1909
- Father: John Elrick b. 13 Apr 1834, d. bt 1872 - 1881
- Mother: Mary Grant b. 7 May 1832, d. 21 Jan 1892
- Relationship: 2nd great-grandfather of My granddaughter Madison :-D
- Charts: Pedigree (compressed), Pedigree (paged), Pedigree (wide), Pedigree (indented), Pedigree (compressed), Pedigree (paged), Pedigree (wide), Pedigree (indented), Pedigree Chart Madison (Elrick), Madison and Daniel
- Birth: John Alexander Elrick was born on 22 February 1867 in Saint Nicholas, Aberdeen, Scotland, 17:15 at 3 Renny's Wynd, Aberdeen. Mary Grant could not write as she signed the birth entry with her mark.1
- Death of Mother: His mother Mary Elrick died on 21 January 1892 in Water Lane, Aberdeen, St Nicholas, Aberdeen, Scotland.
- Marriage: John Alexander Elrick married Martha Coe, daughter of Daniel Coe and Elizabeth Crouch, on Monday, 26 November 1894 in 34 Kelly Street, Hobart, Tasmania, Australia, when they were 27 years, 9 months and 4 days ~&~ 28 years and 29 days old. The ceremony was witnessed by Daniel Coe. by Presbyterian minister James Scott, witnessed by Daniel COE and Elizabeth LONE. Possibly recorded in St Andrew's Church register of marriages. Thyra has the original marriage certificate.2
- (Witness) Marriage: He witnessed the marriage of John Coe and Mary Theresa O'Connor on 18 December 1895 in Residence of the Minister in Hobart, Tasmania, Australia; Rites of the Congregational Church.3
- Death: John died on 10 April 1909 in Hobart, Tasmania, Australia, after a fight in a public house. He made it home but died overnight. Possible index number 0441?? (Aged 42 years, 1 month and 19 days, worked back from recorded birth date).
- Occupation: John was on the Industrial Training ship 'Mars' which was moored in the River Tay in 1881. Later a Royal Navy reservist, then a sailor on international merchant ships, then a sailor on Australian interstate shipping out of Tasmania.
- Residence: In 1889 John Alexander lived in 15 Yeates Lane, Aberdeen, St Nicholas, Aberdeen, Scotland.
- Description: At the age of 22 years, 1 month and 27 days John Alexander Elrick was described as 5ft 7in, fair complexion, blue eyes, scar on breast. It was noted in the certificate (book similar to a modern passport), that John ELRICK had served 3 years 8.5 months as a Naval Reservist, second class.
- webexhibit: John sent a letter to the editor of the Mercury - see text exhibit.
- Anecdote: Fire. An alarm of fire was rung at 5:10 p.m. yesterday. The fire proved to be at 46 Montpelier street occupied by John Elrick, and was confined to the roof, being caused by a defective chinmey. The flames were extinguished easily.
Children of John Alexander Elrick and Martha Coe
- John Alexander Elrick, Certified copy of certificate 307 (8/3/1867).
- BDM in Australia, Aust Vital Records 1788-1905, 1894/231.
- BDM in Australia, Aust Vital Records 1788-1905, 37/348.
- Trove - Australian Newspapers on line, online http://trove.nla.gov.au