#1294, b. 14 February 1822, d. 15 July 1899
- Relationship: 4th great-grandfather of My granddaughter Madison :-D
- Charts: Pedigree (compressed), Pedigree (paged), Pedigree (wide), Pedigree (indented), Pedigree (compressed), Pedigree (paged), Pedigree (wide), Pedigree (indented), Pedigree Chart Madison (McBain)
- Birth: John Dare was born on 14 February 1822 in Sturminster Newton Castle, Dorset, England, Maybe the 4th February 1822.1
- Christening: He was christened on 17 March 1822 in Shaftsbury Holy Trinity Wesley Church, Dorset, England. Film c074301 serial 0238.
- Christening: He was christened on 17 March 1822 in Wesleyan Church, Gillingham, Dorset, England. John's christening was recorded in 2 different registers, both stating the same day, and both Wesleyan.
- Marriage: He married Elizabeth Ball, daughter of Thomas Cannum Ball and Elizabeth Jane Lester, on Wednesday, 17 September 1845 in Kensington, Adelaide, South Australia, Australia, when they were 23 years, 7 months and 3 days ~&~ 29 years and 8 days old. Possibly 13th.3
- Death of Father: His father Robert Dare died on 20 August 1854 in Bowden, South Australia, Australia.4
- Marriage of Daughter: His child Elizabeth Jane Dare was married on 4 January 1867 in Sandhurst (now Bendigo), Victoria, Australia.5
- Death of Mother: His mother Jane Bennett died on 5 April 1870 in St Kilda, Victoria, Australia.6,7
- Marriage of Daughter: His child Sarah Dare was married in 1873 in Victoria, Australia.8,9
- Marriage of Son: His child Robert Dare was married in 1874 in Victoria, Australia.10,11
- Marriage of Son: His child John Dare was married in 1876 in Victoria, Australia.12
- Marriage of Son: His child George Dare was married on 17 April 1880 in House of Mr John GOODWIN, Emerald Hill, Victoria, Australia.13,14,15
- Marriage of Daughter: His child Selina Dare was married in 1881 in Victoria, Australia.16,17
- Death: John died on 15 July 1899 in Smith Street, Northcote, Victoria, Australia, apoplexy and corsia (Aged 77 years, 5 months and 1 day, worked back from recorded birth date).6
- Burial: He was buried on 18 July 1899 in Melbourne Cemetery, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia.6
- Occupation: John was (possibly) a currier and later a teacher (From Elizabeth Jane's marriage details and from his death certificate).
- Religion: John was of the Baptist faith.18
- EmigratAU: He emigrated to Victoria in 1844 from South Australia. John is listed on his death certificate as having lived in South Australia for 14 years and in Victoria for 41 years. Therefore, as he died in 1899, he arrived in South Australia around 1844. A DARE (no given name) arrived 1844-10-11 on John Heyes from London departure 1844-06-12. This ship was 370 tonnes and had only 25 passengers aboard. I have yet to locate a passenger list or a photo of the ship.2
- Journey: He traveled to in Adelaide, South Australia, Australia, arriving 1859 went to Victoria.
- Residence: In 1867 John and Elizabeth lived in Sandhurst (now Bendigo), Victoria, Australia. Address From Elizabeth Jane's marriage details.
Children of John Dare and Elizabeth Ball
- DARE freeland file collated from various BMD sources in Vic., online various, Names: DARE - John
Source Certificate: Child's birth 1859 Sex: M
Age: - Place: B: DORSETS, ENGLAND M: KENSINGTON, S AUS D:
Years: B: 1822 M: 1845 D:
FG Num: D01608 Children FG Num:
Spouse: Ball Elizabeth.
- John Dare, Death certificate for John Dare.
- International Genealogical Index (IGI), patron sheet 0960640 - 1553382 Film NONE.
- Digger - South Australian Deaths 1842 - 1915, Surname: DARE
Given Names: Robert
Relative: Joseph DARE (PR)
Death Place: (not recorded)
District Code: Ade
- BDM in Australia, Aust Vital Records 1788-1905, 1867/348.
- Certificate or Original Parish Reg Entry, Extract from original records.
- BDM in Australia, Aust Vital Records 1788-1905, 1870/5678.
- BDM in Australia, Aust Vital Records 1788-1905, 1873/4035.
- Digger - Vic BMD Digger databases on CD, 1873/4035.
- BDM in Australia, Aust Vital Records 1788-1905, BROCKENSHIRE
Given Names: Elizabeth Jane
Father/Spouse Surname: DARE
Mother/Spouse Given Name: Robert
Birth Place: SANDHURST
Reg No: 1524
- Digger - Tas BMD Digger databases on CD, Surname: DARE
Given Names: Robert
Spouse Surname/Father: BROCKENSHIRE
Spouse Gvn Names/Mother: Elizabeth Jane
Birth Place: ADELAIDE
Reg Number: 1524.
- BDM in Australia, Aust Vital Records 1788-1905, 1876/329 - DARE, John CM 228819 Marriage
Spouse: GREEN, Elizabeth
Marriage Place: Cambridge
Reg Year: 1876 Reg State: Victoria.
- Victorian BDM on line, online http://online.justice.vic.gov.au, 1880/1661.
- BDM in Australia, Aust Vital Records 1788-1905, 1880/1661.
- Certificate or Original Parish Reg Entry, Extract from original records, Copy from Peta King.
- BDM in Australia, Aust Vital Records 1788-1905, 1881/3336.
- Digger - Vic BMD Digger databases on CD, 1881/3336.
- SA Genealogy & Heraldry Society, Biographical Index of South Australians 1836-1885.
- Find my past web sites, online http://www.findmypast.com or http://www.findmypast.com.au,
First name(s) John
Last name Dare
Event date 11 Dec 1871
Court Bendigo Courts
Description Victoria Petty Sessions Registers
Sessions date 4 Aug 1871-14 Mar 1872
Archive reference 16736/P1/Vol 5
Record set Victoria Petty Sessions Registers
Category Institutions & organisations
Subcategory Courts & legal
Collections from Australia & New Zealand.