John William Wilkins
#1308, b. 1837, d. 6 October 1901
- Relationship: 3rd great-grandfather of My granddaughter Madison :-D
- Charts: Pedigree (compressed), Pedigree (paged), Pedigree (wide), Pedigree (indented), Pedigree (compressed), Pedigree (paged), Pedigree (wide), Pedigree (indented), Wilkins descendant chart, Boyd Descendent Chart (new style), Pedigree Chart Madison (Elrick)
- Birth: John William Wilkins was born in 1837 in Australia DOB derived from age quoted on marriage record. No birth record found so far, parentage supported by names of other children in the family etc.
- Marriage: He married Susannah Oswald, daughter of James Oswald and Bridget Curwen, on Thursday, 6 December 1860 in Port Sorrell, Tasmania, Australia, when they were 23 years ~&~ 17 years, 5 months and 11 days old. John William aged 23 and Susannah aged 17 in the house at Mt Erica on the River Forth - Susannah was listed as a servant and John was listed as a labourer on the marriage record. There is NO Mt Erica on the topographical map near the Forth River? In 1860, the town (for want of a better word) Forth would have been the only place in the vicinity, but there could have been grazing establishments that have now disappeared. The Minister, Walter Mathieson, was from the Independent Church.1
- Death of Father: His father John Huddlleston Wilkins died on 6 August 1875 in 114 Sussex Street, Sydney, New South Wales, Australia.2
- Marriage of Daughter: His child Elizabeth Ann Wilkins was married on 8 October 1882 in Launceston, Tasmania, Australia.3,4
- Marriage of Daughter: His child Lydia Susannah Wilkins was married on 5 April 1885 in Wilkins Boarding House, Tamar Street, Launceston, Tasmania, Australia.5,6
- (Witness) Marriage: He witnessed the marriage of William Thomas Young and Adelaide Louisa Wilkins on 7 December 1889 in The Baptist Church Manse, Launceston, Tasmania, Australia.7
- Marriage of Daughter: His child Mary Ann Wilkins was married on 24 February 1895 in George Street, Launceston, Tasmania, Australia.8,9,10
- Marriage of Son: His child Thomas Oswald Wilkins was married on 15 April 1897 in Launceston, Tasmania, Australia.
- Marriage of Daughter: His child Grace Ruth Wilkins was married on 30 October 1898 in Launceston, Tasmania, Australia.11,12
- Death: John died on 6 October 1901 in Frederick Street, Launceston, Tasmania, Australia, (Aged 64 years, worked back from recorded birth date).13
- Occupation: John was a sawyer living in Table Cape.14
- Residence: In 1895 John William lived in George Street, Launceston, Tasmania, Australia. His daughter Mary Ann was married here.
Children of John William Wilkins and Susannah Oswald
- Elizabeth Ann Wilkins+ b. 21 Dec 1863, d. 1900
- Lydia Susannah Wilkins+ b. 19 Jun 1866, d. 20 May 1946
- Adelaide Louisa Wilkins+ b. 10 Feb 1869, d. 9 Dec 1949
- Thomas Oswald Wilkins+ b. 28 Jul 1871, d. 22 Dec 1948
- Mary Ann Wilkins+ b. 30 Oct 1874, d. Oct 1968
- Grace Ruth Wilkins+ b. 18 Oct 1877, d. 1944
- John William Wilkins b. 1 Jul 1880
- Evan Rachael Wilkins b. 5 Jul 1883
- BDM in Australia, Aust Vital Records 1788-1905, 1860/684 33/684.
- Mark Pierson, "eMail from Jenny Plowes," e-mail to Shirley Elrick, various, From copy of Death Certificate kindly shared with me, street name to be confirmed.
- BDM in Australia, Aust Vital Records 1788-1905, 1882/721.
- Tasmanian Family Link, online http://www.eos.tased.edu.au/pioneers/taslink3
- BDM in Australia, Aust Vital Records 1788-1905, NELSON, John CM 722006 Age: 27 Marriage
Spouse: WILKINS, Susannah Oswald Age: 19
Marriage Date: 05 Apr 1885
Reg Year: 1885 Reg State: Tasmania
Ref Number: 735.
- Tasmanian Archives database: as seen on certificate filmed in tas archives. rgd 1/1/193.
- BDM in Australia, Aust Vital Records 1788-1905, 1889/865 37/865.
- Digger - Tas BMD Digger databases on CD, Folio 37/446.
- BDM in Australia, Aust Vital Records 1788-1905, 1895/446.
- International Genealogical Index (IGI), M310492 1894-1895 1368313 Film NONE.
- Digger - Tas BMD Digger databases on CD, Folio 37/576.
- Tasmanian Archives database: rgd 1/13/57 viewed on site.
- Digger - Tas BMD Digger databases on CD, 1901/267.
- Certificate or Original Parish Reg Entry, Extract from original records, (from birth registration of Mary Ann, per Ann Cavanagh who has a copy of the certificate).