John Huddlleston Wilkins
#1721, b. 11 October 1801, d. 6 August 1875
- Relationship: 4th great-grandfather of My granddaughter Madison :-D
- Charts: Pedigree (compressed), Pedigree (paged), Pedigree (wide), Pedigree (indented), Pedigree (compressed), Pedigree (paged), Pedigree (wide), Pedigree (indented), Wilkins descendant chart, Boyd Descendent Chart (new style), Pedigree Chart Madison (Elrick)
- Birth: John Huddlleston Wilkins was born on 11 October 1801 in Pool Lane, Liverpool, Lancashire, England, He was noted as free on convict permission to marry Sarah Davis, a convict.2,3
- Christening: He was christened on 8 November 1801 in St Nicholas' Church, Liverpool, Lancashire, England.4
- Death of Mother: His mother Frances Bryers died on 14 June 1806 in Thomas Street, Liverpool, Lancashire, England.5
- Marriage: John Huddlleston Wilkins married Sarah Davis, daughter of John Boyd and Jane Plumpton, on Thursday, 27 April 1837 in Launceston, Tasmania, Australia. Ceremony was performed by Edward FREEMAN and was witnessed by George MERCHANT and William JONES. John WILKINS was free and illiterate. Sarah DAVIES was a convict and according to the Bishops Transcript she signed her name.7,8,9,10
- Marriage of Son: His child John William Wilkins was married on 6 December 1860 in Port Sorrell, Tasmania, Australia.11
- Marriage of Daughter: His child Selina Frances Wilkins was married in 1861 in Sydney, New South Wales, Australia.12
- Death: John died on 6 August 1875 in 114 Sussex Street, Sydney, New South Wales, Australia, (Aged 73 years, 9 months and 26 days, worked back from recorded birth date).2
- Occupation: John was the coxswain of guard boat, sailmaker and awning maker - his son-in-law James Berry was also a sailmaker.13
- EmigratAU: He emigrated to Australia in 1825 from England. This is based on details on his death certificate which was issued in 1875, saying he had been in NSW for 50 years, and that he was born in Manchester. HOWEVER, I now think he was a convict who came to AU on the Morley in 1823. See research note 6.6
- Journey: He traveled to in Sydney, New South Wales, Australia, arriving between 1841 and 1860 on the unknown.
- Directory: He was listed in a directory issued in 1861 as a sailmaker. his address was 214 Clarence Lane, Sydney, New South Wales, Australia. Close to the corner of Market Street and the Blue Lion Inn.14
Children of John Huddlleston Wilkins and Sarah Davis
- Mark Pierson, "eMail from Jenny Plowes," e-mail to Shirley Elrick, various, From copy of Son John's Death Certificate kindly shared with me.
- Mark Pierson, "eMail from Jenny Plowes," e-mail to Shirley Elrick, various, From copy of Death Certificate kindly shared with me, street name to be confirmed.
- On Line Parish Clerks, online various based on ???-opc.org.uk, Baptism: 8 Nov 1801 St Nicholas, Liverpool, Lancashire, England
John Huddleston Wilkins - son of Richard Wilkins & His Wife Frances (formerly Bryers)
Born: 11 Oct 1801
Abode: Pool Lane
Register: Baptisms 1801, Page 44, Entry 1023
Source: LDS Film 93833.
- International Genealogical Index (IGI).
- On Line Parish Clerks, online various based on ???-opc.org.uk, Burial: 16 Jun 1806 St Peter, Liverpool, Lancashire, England
Fanney Wilkins - wife of Richard Wilkins
Died: 14 Jun 1806
Age: 42 years
Abode: Thomas St
Register: Burials 1806, Page 1, Entry 146
Source: LDS Film 1656377.
- Certificate or Original Parish Reg Entry, Extract from original records, From Jenny PLOWES.
- BDM in Australia, Aust Vital Records 1788-1905, 1837/3851.
- Digger - Tas BMD Digger databases on CD.
- International Genealogical Index (IGI), Certificate 3852 in the Tasmanian on line originals - Image 103.
- Tasmanian Archives database: WILKINS John free DAVIS Sarah New Grove 15 MAR 1837 CON52/1 p221 RGD36/3 : 1837/3851.
- BDM in Australia, Aust Vital Records 1788-1905, 1860/684 33/684.
- DB - NSW BDM on line, online http://www.bdm.nsw.gov.au/familyHistory, 150/1861 BERRY JAMES WILKINS SELINA SYDNEY.
- Mark Pierson, "eMail from Jenny Plowes," e-mail to Shirley Elrick, various.
- Website Ancestry.com (http://www.ancestry.com) "Sydney and New South Wales, Sands Street Index, 1861-1930 about John Wilkins
Name: John Wilkins
Street Number: 214
- Mark Pierson, "eMail from Jenny Plowes," e-mail to Shirley Elrick, various, Email March 2015 - Well isn’t that interesting - great discovery Shirley! Richard Wilkins and Frances Bryers/Bryars definitely appear to be our John’s parents.
You can never quite trust the accuracy of death cert. info.
Sibling Mary was buried was 10 Oct 1794 - http://www.lan-opc.org.uk/Liverpool/Liverpool-Central/…
Also sibling Elizabeth (Betty?) buried 25 Aug 1797 aged 21 months - http://www.lan-opc.org.uk/Liverpool/Liverpool-Central/…
- Website Ancestry.com (http://www.ancestry.com) "Australian Convict Transportation Registers – Other Fleets & Ships, 1791-1868 about John Wilkins
Name: John Wilkins
Convicted Date: 22 Oct 1821
Voyage Date: 19 Sep 1822
Colony: Tasmania (Van Diemen's Land)
Place of Conviction: Lancaster, Lancashire, England."
- Website Ancestry.com (http://www.ancestry.com) "UK, Prison Hulk Registers and Letter Books, 1802-1849 about John Wilkins
Name: John Wilkins
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1801
Date Received: 21 Dec 1821
Place Moored: Chatham
Date Convicted: 22 Oct 1821
Place Convicted: Liverpool."
- Trove Digitised Newspapers, Colonial Times (Hobart, Tas. : 1828 - 1857) Wednesday 6 September 1854 Page 1.
- BDM in Australia, Aust Vital Records 1788-1905, 1840/206.