John Garson Blake1
#36123, b. 23 July 1809, d. December 1888
- Relationship: Great-uncle of Garson Henry Lovewell Blake :possibly Garson Edric JOHNSON's (later Geoffrey JACKSON) natural father?
- Charts: Blake (Essex) descendant chart, Blake descendant chart
- Birth: John Garson Blake was born on 23 July 1809 in Norfolk, England, Possibly in Diss.1
- Christening: He was christened on 1 August 1809 in St Nicholas' Church, Great Yarmouth, Norfolk, England.1
- Marr Reg: The marriage of John and Louisa Maria Moore was registered in the quarter ended March 1845 in the Depwade registration district.2
- Marriage of Son: His child John William Blake was married in March 1867 in Registration District of, Portsea, Hampshire, England.3
- Marriage of Daughter: His child Maria Louisa Blake was married in September 1873 in Registration District of, Great Yarmouth, Norfolk, England.
- Marriage of Son: His child George Blake was married on 23 August 1876 in Congregational Church, Sudbury, Suffolk, England.4
- Marriage of Daughter: His child Alice Blake was married in September 1877 in Registration District of, Alverstoke, Hampshire, England.5
- Marriage of Son: His child Frederick Blake was married in September 1881 in Alverstoke, England.6
- Marriage of Son: His child Henry Blake was married in December 1882 in Registration District of, Braintree, Essex, England.7
- Death: John died on 2 October 1888 in Linden House, Stoke Road, Gosport, Hampshire, England, (Aged 79 years, 2 months and 9 days, worked back from recorded birth date).
- Burial: He was buried on 8 October 1888 in Ann's Hill Cemetery, A plot in Children's Corner, Gosport, Hampshire, England, The obit has lists of a large number of relatives and friends.10
- Probate: His estate was probated on 21 November 1888. John William Blake, George Blake, Henry Blake and Frederick Blake were the administrators and/or the beneficiaries. Effects were £9,127.8
- Death Reg: John's death was registered in the quarter ended in December 1888 in the Alverstoke, Gosport registration district. (His age calculates to 79 years and 4 months).9
- Occupation: John was a draper. In 1860 he was a director of the Gosport Waterworks Company, as was a Thomas Naish BLAKE (See CD for details)
In 1853 he was appointed an Oversee-er by the Bench of Magistrates in Hampshire. He was also a deacon of the Congregational Church for many years before he died.11,12
- Residence: In 1841 John Garson lived in Diss, Norfolk, England. Further confirmation that there was a link between the Drapery in Diss and the one in Yarmouth in that John Garson BLAKE posted a letter to his father in Yarmouth enclosing a pair of lace cuffs. Said letter was stolen and was tendered in a court case, as reported in the Times - Thursday, Apr 01, 1841; pg. 5; Issue 17633; col F. See exhibit.
- Residence: In 1853 John Garson lived in 106 High Street, Gosport, Hampshire, England.13
Children of John Garson Blake and Louisa Maria Moore
- Free parish registers, online http://www.freereg.org.uk, Norfolk
Place Great Yarmouth
Church St Nicholas
DateOfBirth 23 Jul 1809
BaptismDate 01 Aug 1809
Forename John Garson
- Free UK BDM index from 1837, online http://freebmd.rootsweb.com, Moore Louisa Maria Depwade 13 79.
- Free UK BDM index from 1837, online http://freebmd.rootsweb.com, Blake John William Portsea I. AND Collins Emma Julia Portsea I. 2b 598.
- Find my past web sites, online http://www.findmypast.com or http://www.findmypast.com.au, Publication:Bury and Norwich Post
Publication date:Tuesday 29 August 1876.
- Free UK BDM index from 1837, online http://freebmd.rootsweb.com, Alice Blake
Year of Registration: 1877
Quarter of Registration: Jul-Aug-Sep
- Free UK BDM index from 1837, online http://freebmd.rootsweb.com, LAPTHORN Jane Eliza Alverstoke 2b 1002.
- Find my past web sites, online http://www.findmypast.com or http://www.findmypast.com.au, Civil Registration event: Marriage
Name: BLAKE, Henry
Registration district: Southampton
Year of registration: 1888
Quarter of registration: Jul-Aug-Sep
Spouse's last name: Not available before 1912
Volume no: 2C
Page no: 55
MarriageFinder: Henry Blake married one of the following people:
HOUNSOM, Eliza Elizabeth
- Website Probate Calendar (Index of Wills and Administrations),1861-1941 (http://search.ancestry.com.au) "John Garson Blake
Probate Date: 21 Nov 1888
Death Date: 2 Oct 1888
Death Place: Southampton, Hampshire, England
Registry: Principal Registry."
- Free UK BDM index from 1837, online http://freebmd.rootsweb.com, John Garson Blake
Estimated birth year: abt 1809
Year of Registration: 1888
Quarter of Registration: Oct-Nov-Dec
Age at Death: 79
- Find my past web sites, online http://www.findmypast.com or http://www.findmypast.com.au, Publication:Devizes and Wiltshire Gazette
Publication date:Thursday 11 October 1888.
- British newspapers Nat Lib AU, Hampshire Telegraph and Sussex Chronicle etc (Portsmouth, England), Saturday, April 2, 1853; Issue 2791.
- Find my past web sites, online http://www.findmypast.com or http://www.findmypast.com.au, Publication:Hampshire Telegraph
Publication date:Saturday 03 March 1860
Thomas Naish BLAKE, a brewer, was the son of James BLAKE and mary NAISH born in 1827. He had a brother Samuel who was born in 1811, and was still unmarried in 1861. He died in 1906, aged 79. His probate says he left £298,437 (so the brewery must have been a good one). His executors were Fanny BLAKE, his widow who was 27 years younger than him, William John LANGFORD, a major in the Royal Marines, and Thomas RAWLINS an accountant.
Looking further, Thomas and Fanny (nee LEAHY) were married in Chelsea in June qtr 1880. This marriage is on Ancestry, showing that it took place in Trinity Church 10th April 1880. Thomas was 53 at the time of the marriage - his father is James, also a brewer who was already dead. Fanny's father was Theophilus LEAHY an artist (also already dead). I cannot see James (father of Thomas) anywhere in my database, so it is possible Thomas Naish BLAKE was not related to John Garson BLAKE. A pity really as other notes in the newspaper say that Thomas BLAKE, of Cowes, was Her Majesty's Brewer!! In 1888, Thomas Naish and Samuel Turner BLAKE applied for as additional off licence for rooms at 35 and 40 in the Prudential Buildings, Commercial Road, Landport. licence
I think Thomas may have been the grandson of Thomas BLAKE, brewer, who died in West Cowes in 1862, aged 85. This Thomas left only £1,500, with an executor named Samuel BLAKE, a nephew, so possibly not?
- British newspapers Nat Lib AU, Hampshire Telegraph and Sussex Chronicle etc (Portsmouth, England), Saturday, November 26, 1853; Issue 2824.
- International Genealogical Index (IGI), England, Norfolk Register of Electors, 1844-1952
- John OWEN and Mark PIERSON, 15th August 1866, Harriet's children are as follows - 1 John Garson Blake - living 6 children.
- Free UK BDM index from 1837, online http://freebmd.rootsweb.com, Blake Alice Alverstoke 7 20.
- Free UK BDM index from 1837, online http://freebmd.rootsweb.com, Blake Maria Louisa Alverstoke 2b 379.
- Free UK BDM index from 1837, online http://freebmd.rootsweb.com, Blake Frederick Alverstoke 2b 451.