Joseph Starling Blake1
#36125, b. 27 December 1817, d. 21 April 1909
- Father: John Barnabas Blake1 b. 1783, d. Dec 1872
- Mother: Harriet Garson1 b. 17 Aug 1783, d. Sep 1872
- Relationship: Great-uncle of Garson Henry Lovewell Blake :possibly Garson Edric JOHNSON's (later Geoffrey JACKSON) natural father?
- Charts: Blake (Essex) descendant chart, Blake descendant chart
- Birth: Joseph Starling Blake was born on 27 December 1817 in Great Yarmouth, Norfolk, England.1
- Christening: He was christened on 26 March 1818 in Middlegate Congregational, Great Yarmouth, Norfolk, England.1
- Marriage: He married Esther Steff on Sunday, 6 July 1845 in St Mary's Church, Redgrave, Suffolk, England, when they were 20 years ~&~ 27 years, 6 months and 9 days old.2
- Marr Reg: The marriage of Joseph and Esther Steff was registered in the quarter ended September 1845 in the Hartismere registration district.3
- Marriage of Daughter: His child Emily Blake was married on 21 December 1871 in King Street Congragational Church, Portsea, Hampshire, England.4
- Marriage of Daughter: His child Laura Blake was married in June 1872 in Registration District of, Fareham, Hampshire, England.
- Marriage of Son: His child Alfred Starling Blake was married in September 1873.5
- (Widow) Death: In 1879, at the age of 61 years, 11 months and 23 days, Joseph was left a widower by the death of Esther Blake; aged 55. Most likely place for her death is Lewisham. The obiturary, where I got the date from, just confirms she was 'living' in Portsea, not that she died there.6
- Marriage of Daughter: His child Kate Blake was married in June 1882 in Registration District of, Portsea, Hampshire, England.
- Marriage of Son: His child Arthur William Blake was married in December 1886 in Registration District of, Hambledon, Hampshire, England.7
- Marriage of Son: His child Ernest John Blake was married in September 1889 in St Batholomew's Church, Southsea, Hampshire, England.8
- Death: Joseph died on 21 April 1909 in 48 Chelsea Road, Southsea, Hampshire, England, (Aged 91 years, 3 months and 25 days, worked back from recorded birth date).9
- Probate: His estate was probated on 27 May 1909. Winifred Blake was the administrator and/or the beneficiary. Executors were Horace George ADAMS outfitter and Winifred BLAKE spinster. Effects were £3,363.9
- Occupation: Joseph was a linen draper in 1851 and an auctioneer, and estate agent and an accountant by 1881 and after. Up until 1870 Joseph was often in the newspapers as a victim of crimes, and he was always stated to be a draper. The crimes were related to shop stealing, and in one case, burglary from his warehouse. In 1871 he was appointed a trustee in a matter relating to a bankruptcy. Then he was stated to be a public accountant.
Children of Joseph Starling Blake and Esther Steff
- Harriet Blake b. 1847
- Alfred Starling Blake+ b. 1848, d. Mar 1892
- Emily Blake+ b. 1850
- Laura Blake+ b. 1852, d. Jun 1918
- Charles James Blake b. Sep 1853, d. Jun 1931
- Edward Parker Blake b. 1855, d. Mar 1903
- Kate Blake+ b. 1856, d. 1945
- Walter T Blake b. 1858
- Arthur William Blake+ b. 1861, d. Mar 1911
- Ernest John Blake+ b. 1863, d. 15 Apr 1941
- Winifred Blake b. Sep 1864
- Free parish registers, online http://www.freereg.org.uk, Norfolk
Place Great Yarmouth
Church Middlegate Congregational Tr
DateOfBirth 27 Dec 1817
BaptismDate 26 Mar 1818
Forename Joseph Starling
- Mark Pierson, "eMail from Mark Pierson," e-mail to Shirley Elrick, various, Although I haven't got her precise dob, Esther (née STEFF) was christened at Redgraveon 14 August 1825 [her parents: William & Mary (née DAVY)] and she married JSB there on 6 July 1845.
- Free UK BDM index from 1837, online http://freebmd.rootsweb.com, Blake Joseph Starling Hartismere 13 639.
- British newspapers Nat Lib AU, Hampshire Telegraph and Sussex Chronicle etc (Portsmouth, England), Saturday, December 30, 1871; Issue 4108.
- Free UK BDM index from 1837, online http://freebmd.rootsweb.com, Nicholson Rhoda Sarah Alverstoke 2b 799.
- British newspapers Nat Lib AU, The Hampshire Advertiser (Southampton, England), Wednesday, December 31, 1879; pg. 2; Issue 3500. 19th Century British Library Newspapers: Part II.
- Find my past web sites, online http://www.findmypast.com or http://www.findmypast.com.au, Civil Registration event: Marriage
Name: BLAKE, Arthur William
Registration district: Hambledon
Year of registration: 1886
Quarter of registration: Oct-Nov-Dec
Spouse's last name: Not available before 1912
Volume no: 2A
Page no: 243
MarriageFinder: Arthur William Blake married one of the following people:
- British newspapers Nat Lib AU, Hampshire Telegraph and Sussex Chronicle etc (Portsmouth, England), Saturday, September 28, 1889; Issue 5650.
- Website Probate Calendar (Index of Wills and Administrations),1861-1941 (http://search.ancestry.com.au) "Joseph Starling Blake
Probate Date: 27 May 1909
Death Date: 21 Apr 1909
Death Place: Hampshire, England
- International Genealogical Index (IGI), England, Norfolk Register of Electors, 1844-1952
- John OWEN and Mark PIERSON, 15th August 1866, Harriet's children are as follows - 4 Joseph Starling Blake living 10 children.