George Innes1

#1855, b. 1884, d. 20 September 1918

Gouzeaucourt

Individual's Timeline

Birth1884George Innes1
Death26 April 1912George Innes2,1
Death20 September 1918George Innes1

Primary events

  • Birth: George Innes was born in 1884 in Aberdeen, Saint Nicholas, Aberdeen, Scotland.1
  • (present at death) Death: In 1912 George Innes was listed on the death certificate of George Innes as being present at his death; Certificate reads George INNES aged 47 spirit merchant died of Hemiplegic (6 days). His mother was Catherine INNES (deceased) and he was illegitimate. He was married to Margaret ELRICK. George INNES his son was present at his death. George's address was 17 Roslin Street, Aberdeen.2,1
  • Death: George died on 20 September 1918 in France, In Memory of G Innes, Bombardier 227339 of "B" Bty.315th Bde., Royal Field Artillery who died on Friday, 20th September 1918. (Aged 34 years, worked back from recorded birth date).1
  • Burial: He was buried in 1918 in Genin Well Copse Cemetery, Heudicourt, France, Commemorative Information - Cemetery: GOUZEAUCOURT NEW BRITISH CEMETERY, Nord, France. Grave Reference/Panel Number: V. H. 8.

Secondary circumstances

  • Occupation: George was an apprentice stationer before joining the army.

Census details

Some aspects of George Innes's life. George was Killed IN Action WW1. The cemetery he is buried in is Gouzeaucourt. Gouzeaucourt is a large village situated in the extreme bottom left hand corner of the French Regional Department 'Nord'. It lies 15 kilometres south west of Cambrai and 15 kilometres north-east of Peronne. The village is built along the D917 which connects these two towns. Gouzeaucourt New British Cemetery is to be found opposite the civil cemetery, which is just within the village boundary on the D29, a road which connects Gouzeaucourt with Heudicourt.

Historical Information: The village was captured by the 8th Division on the night of the 12th-13th April 1917. It was lost on the 30th November 1917, in the German counterattack at the end of the Battle of Cambrai, and recaptured the same day by the 1st Irish Guards. It was lost again on the 22nd March 1918, attacked by the 38th (Welsh) Division on the following 18th September, and finally retaken by the 21st Division on the 8th October. It was later "adopted" by the City of Worcester. The cemetery was begun in November 1917, taken over by the Germans in 1918, and used again by the British in September and October 1918; but the original burials (now in Plot III) are only 55 in number. It was enlarged after the Armistice by the concentration of graves from other cemeteries and from the battlefield of Cambrai. There are now over 1,000, 1914-18 war casualties commemorated in this site. Of these, nearly 400 are unidentified and special memorials are erected to 21 soldiers from the United Kingdom and 13 from New Zealand, known or believed to be buried among them. Another special memorial records the name of a soldier buried in Gouzeaucourt Communal Cemetery in May 1917, whose grave was destroyed by shell fire. The cemetery covers an area of 4,784 square metres and is enclosed by a brick wall. The burial grounds concentrated to Gouzeaucourt New British Cemetery included:- ARVON CEMETERY, HEUDICOURT, beside the road from Gouzeaucourt to Fins, begun by the 38th (Welsh) Division in September 1918. It contained the graves of 65 soldiers from the United Kingdom. GENIN WELL COPSE CEMETERY, HEUDICOURT, between Heudicourt and "Chapel Hill," containing the graves of 20 soldiers from the United Kingdom who fell in September and October 1918. GOUZEAUCOURT BRITISH CEMETERY, a little East of the railway line on the road to Villers-Guislain, near a quarry. It was begun by the 2nd Rifle Brigade in April 1917, and used until the following September; it contained the graves of 29 soldiers from the United Kingdom. GOUZEAUCOURT WOOD-CEMETERY, METZ-EN-COUTURE, a 1.6 kilometres East of Metz village. It contained the graves of 44 soldiers from New Zealand (mainly of the 3rd (Rifle) Brigade) and-two from the United Kingdom, who fell in September and October 1918.

Military

Citations

  1. Letter, John A E Elrick to Edward Stanley Elrick, c 1920.
  2. Certificate or Original Parish Reg Entry, Extract from original records, downloaded.