#13480, b. 19 August 1821, d. 20 January 1908
- Father: William Base1 b. 4 Dec 1794, d. 15 Jun 1855
- Mother: Hannah Hubbard1 b. 9 May 1796, d. Sep 1840
- Relationships: 3rd great-uncle of Sister Susan :-), 5th great-uncle of My granddaughter Madison :-D, 4th great-uncle of Cousin Sarah Louise :-)
- Birth: Samuel Base was born circa 1821.
- Christening: He was christened on 19 August 1821 in St Michael Coslany, Norwich, Norfolk, England.2,3
- (present at death) Death: In 1840 Samuel Base was listed on the death certificate of Hannah Base as being present at her death; Certificate lists her as wife of William a shoemaker.4
- Marriage: Samuel Base married Maria Hicks, daughter of William Power Hicks and Jane (?), on Thursday, 16 May 1850 in London, Greater London, England, when they were 28 years, 8 months and 27 days ~&~ 36 years old. Registered in Kensington vol 3 page 313 June qtr 1850.1
- Death of Father: His father William Base died on 15 June 1855 in St Lawrence's Church, Norwich St Lawrence, Norfolk, England.5
- (present at death) Death: In 1857 Samuel Base was listed on the death certificate of Jane (?) as being present at her death.
- (Widow) Death: In 1895, at the age of 73 years, 7 months and 26 days, Samuel was left a widower by the death of Maria Hicks.
- Death: Samuel died on 20 January 1908 in Ringsfield Hall, Ringsfield, Suffolk, England, (Aged 86 years, 5 months and 1 day, worked back from recorded birth date).1,6
- Probate: His estate was probated on 4 March 1908. Samuel's executors were Albion Axtel WEST, a gentleman, and Leonard george BOLINGBROKE, a solicitor. The Estate was valued at £42,498.7
- Occupation: Samuel was a senior civil servant who was employed by the Post Office. In 1871 he was a superannuated civil servant, and in 1866 he was the owner of land under cultivation of wheat and barley, as he put it, whilst still growing, but almost ready for havest, to auction.8
Family of Samuel Base and Maria Hicks
- Valerie Grey-Wilson, Base.
- Free parish registers, online http://www.freereg.org.uk, County Norfolk
Church St Michael Coslany
BaptismDate 09 Aug 1821
Abode St Miles Coslany
- International Genealogical Index (IGI), England, Norfolk Parish Registers, 1538-1900
Norwich St Michael Coslany
- Certificate or Original Parish Reg Entry, Extract from original records, Copy received from Jean Eastoe.
- Find my past web sites, online http://www.findmypast.com or http://www.findmypast.com.au, First name(s) William
Last name Base
Birth year 1795
Death year -
Burial year 1855
Burial date 21 Jun 1855
Parish Norwich, St Lawrence
Archive Norfolk Record Office
Archive reference PD 58/12
Record set Norfolk burials
Category Life Events (BDMs)
Subcategory Deaths & burials
Collections from United Kingdom.
- Free UK BDM index from 1837, online http://freebmd.rootsweb.com
- Website Probate Calendar (Index of Wills and Administrations),1861-1941 (http://search.ancestry.com.au) "Scanned Original pages of the wills registers."
- Find my past web sites, online http://www.findmypast.com or http://www.findmypast.com.au, Publication:Norfolk News, Publication date:Saturday 28 July 1866.
- Census data as per CD, BASE, Samuel Neighbors 171192
Name Relationship Mar Age Sex Occupation Birthplace
Samuel BASE Head M 29 M Postmaster (7.2) Norwich----
Maria BASE Wife M 37 F --- Hackney-Mid
William HICKS FatL M 73 M Retired Postmaster & Fundholder (7.2 London Hackney-London
Jane HICKS MotL M 68 F --- Reading-Berk
Elizabeth FRARY Serv U 32 F House Servant Crostwick-Nfk
Ann LADBROOK Serv U 25 F House Servant Beccles-Suf
Address: Post Office Street, Norwich
Census Place: Norwich St John Maddermarket Norwich, Norfolk
PRO Reference: HO/107/1816 Folio: 63 Page: 43 FHL Film: 0207469.
- Census data as per CD, Dwelling: 14 Kirkley Cliff
Census Place: Kirkley, Suffolk, England
Source: FHL Film 1341458 PRO Ref RG11 Piece 1901 Folio 71 Page 6
Marr Age Sex Birthplace
Samuel BASE M 59 M Norwich, Norfolk, England
Occ: Rail Service ... Post Master
Maria BASE M 61 F Hackney, Middlesex, England
Florence PLOWIS (?) U 17 F Attleborough, Norfolk, England
Jane PARISH U 33 F Shelton, Norfolk, England
Occ: Cook Dom Ser
Julia HAGEL U 33 F Shoreditch, Middlesex, England
- Unknown compiler, 1883 Kelly's dir of Norfolk, BIXLEY is a parish and pretty village, situated on an eminence, about 3 miles south-east from Norwich, on the high road from Norwich to Beccles, in the Southern division of the county, hundred and union of Henstead, Norwich county court district, rural deanery of Brooke, archdeaconry of Norfolk and diocese of Norwich. The church of St. Wandregesilius is a snall structure of flint, erected in 1874; it is in Gothic style and consists of chancel, nave, and square tower, on the site of the old church of that name, built in 1272, of which the tower only remains. The register dates from the year 1561. The living is a rectory, with that of Framingham Earl annexed, joint gross yearly value £579 with house, in the gift of Clement Brereton esq. and held sine 1878 by the Rev, Charles Turner M.A. of St. John's College, Cambridge. Bixley Hall and Bixley Lodge are two exceedingly pretty seats, the formr occupied by Mrs. Martin and the latter (the property of J. J. Colman M.P.) occupied by Henry Birkbeck, jun. esq. The trustees of the late F. W. Primrose own theland attached to Bixley Hall and are lords of the manor. The soil is mixed, subsoil, gravel. The crops are on the four-course system. The area is 760 acres; rateable value, £1,624; and the population in 1881 was 160.
Parish Clerk, George Rix.
(copied from http://apling.freeservers.com/Villages/Bixley.htm) - [Complete entry. Transcription Copyright © E.C."Paddy" Apling].