Ellen Elizabeth Patterson
#1146, b. 30 July 1891, d. 14 November 1961
From Google Earth. This is Weston Street in Bermondsey where Ellen was living in 1911. Even though it seems unlikely, this street is a tunnel. There are entrances off the tunnel and it must go, covered, for 100's of meters. I don't know if Ellen lived in one of the 'houses'? in the tunnel or in an uncovered part of the street. There are a few 4 story places that would date back to well before ww1, but most of the street has been rebuilt. The other photo shows the entrance to the street
- Father: Matthew James Patterson b. 28 Jun 1851, d. 21 Jun 1922
- Mother: Alice Bonner b. 1853, d. 3 Aug 1919
- Relationship: Grandmother of Sister Susan :-)
- Charts: Pedigree (indented), Pedigree (indented), BALES, John (1762) descendant chart, PATTERSON, John (b1770) descendant chart, James KNIGHTS Descendent Chart (new style), Pedigree Chart Susan (Patterson)
- Birth: Ellen Elizabeth Patterson was born on 30 July 1891 in 1 row 106, Great Yarmouth, Norfolk, England, Certificate reads 30th July 1891 no 1 row 106 Ellen a girl to Matthew PATTERSON and Alice formerly BONNER. Father's occupation was a seaman in the merchant service. Alice made her mark so was illiterate.1
- Christening: She was christened on 31 May 1893 in St Nicholas' Church, Great Yarmouth, Norfolk, England. Also named as Helen with a birth date of 1st August 1891.2
- Marriage: She married Christopher Elijah Charles Beales, son of (Archer) Christopher Beales and Margaret Elizabeth Brackenbury, on Saturday, 13 June 1914 in Registry Office, Great Yarmouth, Norfolk, England, when they were 27 years, 3 months and 6 days ~&~ 22 years, 10 months and 14 days old. Certificate reads 13th June 1914 Christopher BEALES 28 year old bachelor general labourer of number 5 row 23 and Ellen Elizabeth PATTERSON 22-year-old spinster of number 2 row 106 married by certificate in the registry office by Alber MOOR. The ceremony was witnessed by J G PITCHER and 'RASTOGARTH'. The certificate we have appears to be a photocopy of the original, so the signatures are as they were made by the witnesses, not a transcription. The Groom's father was Christopher BEALES deceased fisherman and the Bride's father was Matthew PATTERSON engineer.1,3
- Death of Mother: Her mother Alice Patterson died on 3 August 1919 in Great Yarmouth, Norfolk, England.1
- Death of Father: Her father Matthew James Patterson died on 21 June 1922 in 1 Row 123, Great Yarmouth, Norfolk, England.1
- (Widow) Death: In 1937, at the age of 46 years, 4 months and 12 days, Ellen Elizabeth was left a widow by the death of Christopher Elijah Charles Beales; Certificate reads 12th Dec 1937 27 Row 97 UD. Christopher Charles Elijah BEALS male aged 50 years a general labourer. Cause of death was carcinoma of the tongue (certified). H BEALES widow of the deceased was present at the death.1
- Marriage of Son: Her child Christopher Alexander Beales was married in September 1940 in Registration District of, Grimsby, Lincolnshire, England.4
- Marriage of Son: Her child Basil Stanley Beales was married on 17 May 1952 in Great Yarmouth, England.
- Death: Ellen died on 14 November 1961 in Great Yarmouth, England, at 49 Baliol Road Gorleston, Helen Elizabeth BEALES female aged 67 widow of Christopher Elijah Charles BEALES a docker of cerebella haemorrhage certified without inquest. Informant was D Patterson her daughter. Burial record has 29 Baliol Road (Aged 70 years, 3 months and 15 days, worked back from recorded birth date).1
- Burial: She was buried on 20 November 1961 in Magdalen Cemetery, C 330, Great Yarmouth, Norfolk, England.5
- Note: Ellen's father was the eldest of 14 children, and Ellen was one of 10. She and Christopher had more than 11 children in the 17 years between 1915 and 1932. I believed that Ellen was very young when she married but now we have her birth certificate and can confirm that Ellen and Helen (Nellie) are the same person we now know that she was 23 when she married. This makes her 71 when she died.
- Occupation: Ellen was a factory hand in a ginger beer bottler.
- Married Name: Her married name was Beales.
- Name Variation: She was also known as Helen (Nellie) Patterson.
- Residence: In 1935 Ellen Elizabeth and Christopher lived in 27 Row 97, Great Yarmouth, Norfolk, England.6
Children of Ellen Elizabeth Patterson and Christopher Elijah Charles Beales
- Alice Beales7 b. Jun 1915, d. Jun 1915
- Christopher Alexander Beales+ b. 7 Mar 1917, d. Jul 2006
- William M Beales b. 1918, d. b 2010
- Valentine James Beales b. Mar 1920, d. 1941
- Dorothy E Beales+ b. Jun 1922, d. c 2009
- George C Beales+ b. 1924, d. Apr 2014
- Basil Stanley Beales+ b. Nov 1926, d. 2013
- Mildred Beales8 b. Dec 1928, d. Dec 1928
- Dennis Theodore Beales
- Mary E J Beales9 b. Jun 1930, d. Dec 1930
- Michael Oliver Beales
- Norman Lesley Beales
- Brian A Beales
- Copies of original certificates and docs.
- Free parish registers, online http://www.freereg.org.uk, Norfolk
Place Great Yarmouth
Church St Nicholas
DateOfBirth 01 Aug 1891
BaptismDate 31 May 1893
- Free UK BDM index from 1837, online http://freebmd.rootsweb.com
- Find my past web sites, online http://www.findmypast.com or http://www.findmypast.com.au, Civil Registration event: Marriage
MarriageFinder™: Christopher A Beales married Lilian M Riches Help
Name: BEALES, Christopher A
Registration District: Help Grimsby
Year of Registration: 1940
Quarter of Registration: Jul-Aug-Sep
Spouse's last name: Riches
Volume No: Help 7A
Page No: Help 2417
Name: RICHES, Lilian M
Registration District: Grimsby
Year of Registration: 1940
Quarter of Registration: Jul-Aug-Sep
Spouse's last name: Beales
Volume No: 7A
Page No: 2417.
- Website Ancestry.com (http://www.ancestry.com) "Name: Helen Elizabeth Beales
Death Age: 67
Birth Date: abt 1894
Death Date: abt 1961
Death Place: 29 Baliol Rd., Gorleston
Burial Date: 20 Nov 1961
Burial Place: Winchester, Hampshire, England
Cemetery Section: C.
Grave Number: 330
Interment Number: 412
Cemetery Notes: Consecrated."
- Conclusion of, Shirley.
- Free UK BDM index from 1837, online http://freebmd.rootsweb.com, 4b/3.
- Free UK BDM index from 1837, online http://freebmd.rootsweb.com, Beales Mildred Beales Yarmuth 4b/46
Beales Mildred 0 Yarmouth 4b 31.
- Free UK BDM index from 1837, online http://freebmd.rootsweb.com, Beales Mary E J Patterson Yarmouth 4b 4
Beales Mary E J 0 Yarmouth 4b 5.